Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Super Bowl, Friends, and the Power of Eye Contact


This weekend was Super Bowl XLIII. Now, if you’re like me, you either missed school the day they taught Roman numerals or just can’t recall what the heck XLIII represents. So let me translate (and thank you Google)…..this weekend was Super Bowl 43.

Many people gather during the Super Bowl to visit and watch one of the most important night’s in football. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a friend’s home to visit, as well as root for my favorite underdog team.

Some of my friends I had not seen in years, and it was great to reconnect and catch up. I realized that during most of the game, many of us were not even paying much attention to the game and in fact were enjoying talking and sharing old time stories that still gave us a good laugh as if they happened yesterday.

One thing that I made a point to do was to make eye contact with nearly every friend, especially when they were talking to me. I looked into their eyes and really listened to what they were saying and sharing with me. As a result, I felt a special quality about our conversations and felt more of a connection then in the past. I also realized how similar we all really are in so many ways. We share similar ups and downs, and joys and challenges. Time had flown by and I was surprised when the clocks had reached an hour in which we had to logically leave. This was a pleasurable night that I would not forget….*

This gathering reminded me of how important something simple as having eye contact with another person you are conversing with really is. The quality of the conversation is heightened and a special connection is made. Common ground is found and a kinship is realized.…*
So the next time you are with family or friends, try to be aware of your eye contact when you are engaged with them. A simple conversation may just turn into a memorable connection.
* Please note, these are highlights from an entire article in Higher-Self Living Paychecks. For more information, please visit our website at www.higherselflifecoaching.com.

No comments: