Saturday, April 26, 2008

My Congo Sister and a Lesson in Compassion


I wanted to share with you some wonderful news I received just a couple days ago. It is news about my new Congo sister, Zawadi Mande.

You may wonder how I have a Congo sister. I am a sponsor with the wonderful non-profit organization, Women for Women International (WFWI). I have even been fortunate enough to have met in person and briefly talked to the founder of WFWI, Zainab Salbi. This organization allows for sponsors to be matched up with a "sister" in one of nine countries that is effected by war, poverty, and malnutrition. I had chosen the Congo region as I feel drawn to that country, for some reasons that are unknown to me. As part of the sponsorship, you get an informational form about your sister and a small photograph of her.

My sister, Zawadi Mande was born in 1982 and has a common-law marriage. She has given birth to four children, however (and VERY UNFORTUNATELY), one of her little boy's has passed away. Her other children include two girls and another little boy. She also cares for her brother-in-law's two little boys. The form also states that Zawadi has not obtained any education and that they live in a non-residential building being used as a residence. They do not have any electricity and use candles and torches for light. They also don't have any running water and have to count on rivers, lakes, and ponds. My dear Zawadi does work on her family's land/farm, which excites me. However I then learn that her leg often hurts, her family is in poor health and they rarely get timely medical treatment because they cannot afford it. Zawadi also indicates that she has lost other family members to war, violence, or political oppression.

Now, here is where the lesson in compassion comes in. As Zawadi's sponsor sister, I will be providing her with a monthly financial income of approximately $20 US dollars. That will give her enough money to feed her family, get water, pay for education, get any medical treatment they may need, and training on various topics. I have to admit, as a result, I do feel such compassion for my sister Zawadi. I want to help her in so many ways as a fellow person and woman. I love that I am able to directly share and show compassion for another woman in an area of the world that appears to be less fortunate then I am, here in the States.

I have come to notice that feeling compassionate has changed my life in many ways. I feel more connected to others in the world and also more of a sense of peace. I even notice physical changes in my body when I do something compassionate. I feel an aliveness within me and warmth within my hands and feet.

Compassion is a wonderful emotion to experience and share. I ask each of you today to feel and share just a little compassion. Whether it be something small (e.g. holding the door for a stranger) or something more grand (e.g. becoming a sponsor for WFWI). I believe that if we all could just share a little compassion for other people and other living creatures, including our dear planet, then this world would become a more wondrous and peaceful place to live in.

Best wishes to all!

1 comment:

Jamaica Mon said...

What a wonderful concept. It becomes very easy in our everyday lives to become consumed with pleasing ourselves, what a difference it would make to change that focus to others less fortunate. It is like that one commercial on TV where when someone sees you doing something nice it inspires them to do something nice and above and beyond our normal lives.