Thursday, April 3, 2008

Struggling with a Personal Change? Do as Turtles Do.


Recently I have heard many people say that they are trying to make some sort of change. However, in most cases, making a change is no simple task. In fact, most people end up not changing the very thing they set out to change. This has left many people feeling frustrated, hopeless, and with a sense of having failed. Some people are trying to change a physical aspect of their body. For example, several people have mentioned that they are trying to lose weight and eat a healthier diet. While others may be trying to change a characteristic or an aspect of their personality, such as becoming more optimistic or having more patience.

Now, as much as I would love to say I have a PhD from the University of Change, I myself have struggled with change. A few years ago I woke up to a bloated belly. I brushed it off as “that time of month” or “I must have ate something that wasn’t off the American Heart Association List”. However, I realized two weeks later, that this bloated belly had taken up permanent residence on my body. Another change I had struggled with was my sense of patience. I had prided myself on having patience, however, after about one minute of being in a traffic jam, I was ready to become Rambo and blow everyone out of my way. Thus, I had decided I wanted to drop the bloated belly and become much more patient.

At first I jumped right in with both feet. I thought to myself, “OK we are going to exercise every day for 2 hours and then I will take deep breaths while driving and be very patient”. I thought it was that simple. Like the flip of a switch. However, about three days later, I was cursing at the treadmill after five minutes of jogging, and I was honking my car horn at the last daredevil who cut me off. What did I do wrong? Why hadn’t my new changes taken hold?
Then I realized it was because I had not taken “Turtle Steps” as part of my transformation. One of my mentor’s, Martha Beck, had introduced me to “Turtle Steps”. The premise is pretty simple, and extremely effective. All that someone needs to do is come up with a change they want to make, and then turn it into a goal. Then they take that goal and cut it in half. Then take that goal, and cut it in half again. Do this until the goal feels ridiculously easy. So I tried the Turtle Steps theory and cut my goal in half, again, again and again until something in me clicked. I felt a sense of, “Oh yes, we can do that for sure”. So I set out to accomplish my new goal, and not only did I keep up the regime for months, but I also was enjoying that time. So the next time you find yourself seeking to make a change, set up Turtle Steps and then hold on to your seat.
Turtle Steps to Successful Change:

1. Create a goal you want to accomplish.
2. Now cut that goal in half, and then in half again.
3. Continue until the goal is ridiculously easy.
4. Implement that easy goal for at least four days.
Best wishes and peace to all always!!

1 comment:

Jamaica Mon said...

Turtle steps are the greatest way to accomplish something in your life. If you only take turtle steps it is very easy to keep moving forward!