Friday, July 25, 2008

”Love Does Not Want or Fear Anything”….is that so? *


I heard this comment recently, and my first reaction was, “Really? But I do have fears and wants involving love”. For example, I have “wanted” someone special to love me and join in a partnership with me. I have “feared” that no one will love me as I am, or want to spend the rest of their life with me. So how does “Love” not want or fear anything?

So I did some soul searching, and continued to listen to the narrator about this statement, and found out the answer. While it was somewhat abstract, it eventually made perfect sense and opened up a door to an enlightened way of thinking for me. I believe that this statement can help many people avoid so much stress and frustration over “love” and relationships with others, so I wanted to share it.

This particular narrator (i.e. Eckhart Tolle) explained that it is our “ego” that wants and fears things. The ego being the thought process of our human minds. The ego thrives on “wanting” and “fearing”, which ultimately results in placing conditions on love. This also places some control of our lives in someone else’s hands. For example, let’s look at the statement, “I want someone to love and cherish me”. The condition is that you are wanting someone else to do something so that you then feel a certain way (e.g. more important or more lovable). Further, you are giving some control to that other person in the sense that if they don’t love you, you will be let down and then possibly feel less of a person or less lovable. The same goes for fearing something.

The bottom line, and lesson to be learned from this, is that “Love” does not want or fear anything. Our ego’s (i.e. minds) want and fear various things for various reasons. Here is a powerful statement for you,”Love just is”. It is just being in a moment with no judgment or conditions or fears. Love exists beneath all the thoughts and emotions that the ego creates in our lives and world. Love is peace and stillness.

Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!
* Please note, these are highlights from an entire article in Higher-Self Living Paychecks. For more information, please visit our website at www.higherselflifecoaching.com.

2 comments:

Dan O'Neil said...

I'm glad you've reached that place! People frequently confuse romance and love - love needs nothing, wants nothing and as you say fears nothing. There are no requirements for you to love another, except that you love yourself. To love yourself is to know love.

Romance on the other hand tends to be more conditional - we start relationships on a very "meet in the middle" footing. Then over time the majority of us expect the other to change - either to our way of thinking, or to be more like this, or more like that! This is not love, not really. Relationships are only valuable when they serve the needs of both parties - if they are a way for you both to express who you are in a way you cannot do by yourselves, then they can be wonderful. If not, then you have to ask yourself if they really serve you and if indeed they have enough value to remain in them.

Unknown said...

Hi Shannon: At first the idea of love not wanting or fearing anything reminded me of the old "love means never having to say you're sorry" which meant exactly nothing!

Tolle is talking about the pure emotion - the outpouring of love to another, or the mutual exchange of it - without the baggage.

Thanks for the post.

Ellen Besso
www.ellenbesso.com/midlifemaze
North Star Coach