Friday, May 9, 2008

Got Gratitude? It Does a Body Good.


Happy Friday everyone……as I was driving in my car this morning, I was stopped at a light and a woman with a stroller was crossing the street. Just above them, a couple birds flew overhead and chirped. In that moment, I was grateful for many things. I was grateful for babies, for mothers, for birds, and the blue sky.

Then the light turned green and all the cars around me took off as if we were in some sort of Indy car race. I then noticed that my body tensed up in my neck, shoulders and back. Then some mundane and negative thoughts entered into my mind, such as the office “to do list”.

I really didn’t think much of this since it had all become so routine for me. However, this morning, I realized something that I had nearly forgotten. The importance of gratitude. I was stopped at a second light and at that moment, I noticed an older man walking his dog along a sidewalk. I smiled as I recalled my dog and how grateful I am for dogs.

The light then turned green again and we all took off, nearly squealing our tires, yet again. This time, however, I observed the other drivers and myself, as if watching an episode of Cops. I was aware that my body again tensed up and the “to do list” thoughts returned in my mind. However, this time, while driving I thought about the things I saw earlier and was grateful for, such as babies, mothers, birds and dogs. As I focused on those grateful things, my body began to relax and feel more at peace. Then I sensed time slightly slowing down. Peace filled that moment and it felt wonderful.

The importance of taking time to recognize what we are grateful for should never be underestimated. Not only does being grateful help relax our minds and feel more joyful, but it also physically relaxes our bodies and has even been known to release hormones that promote the sensation of “pleasure”.

No matter how hectic or busy your life may be, take just a couple minutes each day and make a small list of things you are grateful for. Try to list at least 5 things, no matter how small (e.g. birds singing) or how large (e.g. human rights). When you think of each thing that you are grateful for, try to notice if your mind brings up any negative thoughts or memories. If a negative thought or memory arises, just notice it, and then let it go. Then focus again on those things you are grateful for, at that moment. Recognizing gratitude and listing what you are grateful for, will help you see your life, and the world, in a healthy and joyful perspective.

ENJOY……and have a fantastic weekend!

No comments: