Friday, February 1, 2008

Happiness Decided Poem

Hello,

I realized that I wanted to share a poem that is near and dear to my heart. I wrote it nearly three years ago, in February 2005. I remember that morning well. I woke up to the sun shining in my room and calmness in the air. As I got out of bed and began my day, I felt as if there was some sort of presence that now occupied my soul. It was as if I really woke up for the first time in my life. I had some how come to realize that morning, along with the new presence, that I was in control of my own life and that I could decide on happiness. I didn't have to just hope that I would feel happy, as if by a stroke of luck. As a result, I wrote a poem that came to me that very morning.

I recite this poem nearly every morning, unless I consciously decide to have a sad day, for example if I am grieving a loss. My hope is that you will use this poem as a daily reminder that you too can decide on happiness.

Happiness Decided

I awoke this morning
Pondering my fate
Magically a decision emerged
On this very date

I will finally free myself
From circumstance and chance
For I have felt as a slave
To life's haphazard dance

No longer a passenger
Will I be
With coincidence my fortune
And commander at sea

I will greet each morning
Eagerly with a smile
And engulf tangible energy
To last all the while

A moment of time
I will then capture
Determining to commit
To a day happily ever after

A day filled with significant hopes
And relished small pleasures
Believing all the while
This world has invaluable treasures

And if I stumble upon
A day that is plagued
With unwelcome episodes
Entrapping me with dread

I will take a moment
And smile with glee
For I know in my heart
Someone watches over me

Someone who helps me
Stay focused and true
To the commitment I made
In the early morning dew

Then as the day
Evolves into the night
I will again smile
At the north star so bright

And be forever thankful
For all that I possess
My family and friends
And pursuit for happiness

Misfortune and hopelessness
Will no longer fill my day
For I now know happiness
Is a decision away


Enjoy and happy wishes to all!!

No comments: