Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"Super Tuesday" and Values

This past Tuesday was, what most are calling, “Super Tuesday”. It is the day in which the greatest number of states hold primary elections during a presidential election year.

While I was skimming through my selection of television viewing options, a story caught my eye that peaked my interest. A reporter was sharing the results of some of the primary elections, when a list appeared on the screen. It was a list that showed how people were selecting their favorite presidential candidate’s. One standard that popped out at me was, “Values”. Some people were selecting their favorite candidates based on how well their personal values matched another candidate’s values.

As a result, I then began to think of what my values where, and was I living by them. Values are extremely important to define and live by. Most people will work for and fight for a genuine value. Believe it or not, I have met people who haven’t even defined their values, more or less live by them. I have also met people who have defined their values, but do not necessarily live by them. As a result most of these people have felt lost, hopeless, and worst of all, as sense of inner-disconnection.

Actually, I will admit that I had not really consciously defined what my values were until just a few years ago. Sure I lived by some basic values, such as being considerate toward others and being a law abiding citizen. However, I too felt a “disconnect” within myself. That is, until I defined my values as a person. One day I had sat down and listed beliefs and behaviors that I valued. Some of them included; unconditional love, non-judgmental attitude, and honesty. However, I soon realized that defining my values and actually living by them were two totally different things.

I realized one day that while I valued honesty, there were times I was not being totally honest. I was one of those people who would tell “little white lies.” I didn’t think much about this until someone had pointed out to me that any type of lie is considered being dishonest. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, I was not living by one of my values. From that day on, I committed to truly living by my values, and no longer act in a way that contradicts them.

As a result I can “honestly” say that I do feel much more joy and a sense of inner-connection within myself. I believe that you too can feel more whole if you define your values and then live by them.

Warm wishes to all!

1 comment:

Jamaica Mon said...

Great sentiment! I agree, aligning yourself with a candidate with your values is important. Also, our country needs to wake up, get better morals, and learn to tell the truth.