Friday, March 21, 2008

The Greeks Were Onto Something....Eudaimonism

I will admit that I was not the most inspired history student that ever stepped foot on earth. Nor am I listed in the World’s Guinness Book for having the world’s best memory. Therefore, much of what I had learned in school about history and humanities has seemingly escaped me.

Recently, I stumbled upon an article that sparked my interest. This article was about eudaimonia, which comes from the Greek word for happiness. More specifically, eu means “good” and daimon means “spirit”. As my eyes swallowed each word, I had come to learn a very brief lesson in Greek history. Apparently, Greeks believed that every child born was sanctified with a personal good daimon, which represented their most gifted possible expressions and talents. The Greeks further believed that the personal daimon within each child was revealed by cracking away an outer layer of cheap material. This got me thinking…..how true I believed this to be, well, metaphorically speaking.


I do believe that we each hold a personal daimon. That each of us possesses talents and beliefs that are to serve to guide us in expressing the best within each of us. I also believe that we each need to crack away some of our “outer-layers” in order to find the golden talents within. The “outer-layer” may be in the form of limiting beliefs and/or negative self-talk that we bestow upon ourselves.

I admit, I use to have an outer-layer in which I had to crack through to find my hidden talents and strengths. In fact, years ago when I was younger I loved to draw and create art. One day there was a Halloween drawing contest in my sixth grade classroom. When I thought about entering the contest, I heard an instant negative voice inside my head saying “are you kidding….you think you are good at art, but you really aren’t….what if you lose?” However, a friend of mine convinced me that I should go for it. So I did enter that contest, and out of 25 other students, I won first place. That day had confirmed for me a natural talent that I did indeed possess.

I encourage each of you to believe that you hold a personal eudaimon which can help guide you in your personal growth and reveal your hidden talents.

Below is a little exercise that can help you to tap into your personal eudaimon.

Tapping into your Eudaimon for your Hidden Talents

1) Take a little time one afternoon or evening and grab a couple pieces of paper and a pencil or pen.

2) Then write down every talent or quality that you wish you had. Include even ones that may seem absurd or out of reach (those are often the ones that come from your personal eudaimon).

3) Once you are finished, take another piece of paper and write down all the times that you won recognition for something in your past, as well as writing down things that you enjoy doing so much that you lose track of time.

4) Now, compare each list and identify those that match. What is left is a list of your hidden talents.

Now go explore them and see what flourishes.

Wishing everyone a HAPPY EASTER!!!

No comments: